This webpage will be updated as required. Last updated 12 April 2019. More project feature pages coming soon!
SDWG Work Plan 2017-2019
For a copy of the SDWG Work Plan 2017-2019, please CLICK HERE.
A number of SDWG projects commenced during the U.S. Chairmanship (2015-2017) have continued into the Finnish Chairmanship (2017-2019). Most of these projects will be completed by the Arctic Council Ministerial Meeting in May 2019.
- The Arctic as a Food-Producing Region [Leads: Canada, Norway, GCI, ICC]
- Arctic indigenous youth, climate change and food culture (EALLU) [Leads: Canada, Kingdom of Denmark, Norway, Russian Federation, U.S., AIA, Saami Council]
- Arctic Remote Energy Networks Academy (ARENA) [Leads: Canada, Finland, Iceland, U.S., GCI, AIA]
- Arctic Renewable Energy Atlas (AREA) [Leads: Canada, U.S., GCI]
- Gender Equality in the Arctic II [Leads: Iceland, Sweden, Finland, AIA]
- Operationalizing a One Health approach in the Arctic, Part 2 (One Health) [Leads: Canada, U.S.]
The following projects have been initiated during the Finnish Chairmanship. It is anticipated that most of these projects will also be completed by May 2019.
- Arctic Children – Preschool Education and Smooth Transition to School [Leads: Russian Federation, Finland, RAIPON]
- Arctic Energy Summit 2017 (Completed) [Leads: Finland, Iceland, Russian Federation]
- Arctic Generation 2030 [Leads: Norway, Finland]
- Arctic EIA – Good Practice Recommendations for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Public Participation in the Arctic [Leads: Finland, Kingdom of Denmark, Canada, GCI]
- Solid Waste Management in Small Arctic Communities [Leads: Canada, Finland, AIA]
- Teacher Education for Diversity and Equality in the Arctic [Leads: Canada, Finland, Norway, Russian Federation]
- Arctic Resilience Action Framework (ARAF) [Leads: U.S., Sweden, Finland]
- Arctic Sustainable Energy Futures Toolkit [Leads: Canada, Kingdom of Denmark, GCI, Netherlands]
- Circumpolar Resilience, Engagement and Action Through Story(CREATes) [Leads: Canada, Finland]
- Zero Arctic: Concepts for carbon neutral Arctic construction based on tradition [Leads: Finland, Canada]
- Arctic Energy Summit 2019 [Leads: Iceland, Finland]
- Assessing the Use of Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) in Indigenous Communities [Leads: U.S., Canada, AIA, CCU]
Project Proposals Under Development
The following projects are currently under development but have not yet been endorsed by the SDWG:
- Working Title: Occupational Health in the Arctic [Proposed by Finland]
- Working Title: Follow-on to Arctic Remote Energy Networks Academy (ARENA II) [Proposed by Canada]
- Working Title: Arctic Food Innovation Cluster [Concept paper presented by Canada]