Teacher Education for Diversity and Equality in the Arctic
Finland, Russian Federation, Norway, Canada (The UArctic Thematic Network on Teacher Education for Social Justice and Diversity in Education manages the project.)
A new project commencing in the Finnish Chairmanship (2017-2019)
Target Completion Date:
The key actions of this project during Finland’s chairmanship are:
- Knowledge Exchange: This key action will support networking of teacher education institutions and sharing good practices among them. The activities will include symposia,regularonline-‐seminars, a special issue of a relevant journal and local summits. The topics are, among others: inclusive practices, digital teaching environments and Arctic pedagogy combining indigenous pedagogical practices, education in sparsely populated areas and community-‐based education.
- Shared Research -‐-‐ Seeing Education with Northern Eyes: The goal of this key action is to enhance understanding of teaching profession in circumpolar north and to highlight teacher education as means to promote teachers to become creators of the sustainable future in the Arctic. The progress of research activities will be tracked in symposia and conferences in 2017 and 2018. The results will be published as UArctic Report: Arctic Human Development Report at the Arctic Science Summit Week, ASSW, in March
- Cooperation in teacher education: This action will enhance practices of shared teaching across the institutions. The activities will include cooperation in different levels, such as visiting eachother’s courses via online-‐connections,teacher and researcher exchange, and investigating possibilities to establish a Nordic Master Program in Teacher Education and piloting it.
- Long term continuity (beyond 2019): The thematic network will continue as a UArctic thematic network among teacher education institutions across the circumpolar north. It will focus promoting quality, culturally relevant teacher education for the
- Arctic Children – Preschool Education and Smooth Transition to School
- Arctic Generation 2030
- Arctic Indigenous Youth, Food Knowledge and Arctic Change (EALLU)
- Circumpolar Resilience, Engagement & Action Through Story (CREATeS)
- RISING SUN (2017)
- Promoting Mental Wellness in Northern Circumpolar Communities (2015)
- Reindeer Herding and Youth (EALLIN) (2015)
- Assessing, Monitoring and Promoting the Vitality of Arctic Indigenous Languages (2015)
- EALAT: Reindeer herding, traditional knowledge and adaptation to climate change and loss of grazing land (2009)
- Arctic Indigenous Languages Symposium Proceedings (2008)
- Capacity Building Overview (2004)
- A Local Summit, entitled “The Local Context and Global Perspectives” will be held on 8 May 2018 at the University of Tromsø (UiT), Norway. The UArctic Teacher Education Thematic Network, the Arctic University of Norway (UiT)/University of Tromsø, and University of Lapland are organizing the summit for teachers, teachers educators, stake holders, and policy makers to discuss and network with northern colleagues under the theme “Diversity and inclusion in teaching and teacher education in the North”.
- UArctic Congress 2018, Oulu and Helsinki, Finland, 3-7 September 2018.